In many communities across the land a large percentage of the population has prayed a sinner’s prayer under the ministry of churches practicing quick prayerism. Vast numbers of these have never been born again and they are now almost inoculated to biblical salvation. When challenged about their lifeless spiritual condition, they commonly reply, “I have done that,” meaning they have prayed a prayer and have been given assurance of eternal life. They are assured that they have a ticket to Heaven. Those who observe these things are made to think that salvation means little or nothing in relation to one’s manner of life, and Christianity appears foolish and powerless. This technique also tends to populate churches with unregenerate people who are trying to act right without having experienced genuine spiritual conversion.
There are many helpful things in the standard soul-winning programs, but they are missing some very important things and they are wrong about some things, and I believe that if the following changes were made we would see fewer empty professions and far less confusion and more genuine eternal fruit to the glory of Jesus Christ.
The following points would add scriptural correction and balance to the typical soul winning program.
WHAT’S WRONG WITH MOST SOUL WINNING PROGRAMS?
1. The typical soul-winning program neglects repentance.
2. The typical soul-winning program emphasizes heaven too much.
3. The typical soul-winning program doesn’t plow the ground properly.
4. The typical soul-winning program doesn’t emphasize the importance of patience and thoroughness.
5. The typical soul-winning program doesn’t emphasize the importance of answering sincere questions.
6. The typical soul-winning program is too formulaic.
7. The typical soul-winning program uses human psychology and salesmanship.
8. The typical soul-winning program doesn’t depend on God enough and isn’t geared to looking for God’s working.
9. The typical soul-winning program promotes the error of immediately giving assurance.
10. The typical soul-winning program is geared to not doubting the reality of empty professions.